Thursday, February 26, 2015

Thoughts on Returning Home


Everyone who has walked through Terminal 4 of LAX has passed the iconic mosaic wall of color, but few know the story of its origin and permanence. The wall was designed by interior designer Charles Kratka, who designed the 300-foot mosaic in 1961 to welcome travelers to the wonderful city of Los Angeles. Before starting his own firm, Kratka worked for Charles and Ray Eames, pioneers in California modernist design. He also helped design the original interiors of LACMA which opened in 1965. 

For me, the wall is a comforting welcome back to California. My mother recounts loving the mosaic mural as a child and naming the tile colors as she walked down the hallway toward baggage claim. As I walked down the hallway of LAX yesterday, I couldn't help but recall the opening credits from The Graduate. Dustin Hoffman has just landed in LA, returning home from the East Coast for the first time after graduating college. As the "Sound of Silence" plays, he stoically stands on the people-mover, about to enter his new life as a college graduate in California.

For four years the wall has signified a temporary visit home for me. After a draining five hour flight from New York, the wall was a sign that alas, I had made it - but I always knew that New York was awaiting my return. I anticipate my "The Graduate" moment in May, when I come home for good, and wonder if the wall will suddenly hold a new meaning.


No comments:

Post a Comment